House of Israel
At the beginning of the twentieth century, tuberculosis was rampant and the need for fresh air of the Laurentian mountains became a great antibiotic to those suffering with this ailment. Mt. Sinai Hospital, located in Prefontaine, was built in 1909. People wanted to be close to their ailing family members and thus, began the Jewish migration to the Laurentians.
During the 1930’s and 1940’s, kosher boarding houses and hotels began springing up in order to accommodate patients’ visitors and eventually, attracted tourists from all over the world. From that time on, the Jewish community in the Laurentians began to grow, and the need for a full time, year around synagogue was established.
On Sunday, July 12, 1953 House of Israel Congregation opened its doors to the community.
For over 60 years, the House of Israel Congregation has flourished by serving the needs of the Jewish Community throughout the Laurentians.
Please click below to learn more about our rich and proud history. The following narrative, so richly prepared, was made possible by the efforts of Ruth Singer OBM and her committee; taken from the House of Israel 50th Anniversary souvenir book
SHABBAT AND HOLIDAYS
Congregation House of Israel offers full Shabbat services all year round. Visitors to the Laurentians are welcome to join the congregation for prayers and Kiddush luncheon following Saturday services.
Please check the calendar for service times.
If you have any questions regarding the availability of a minyan for the recitation of kaddish, please contact Rabbi Carlebach.
27 rue St-Henri Ouest
Ste-Agathe-des-Monts, QC J8C 1C5
Phone: (819) 326-4320
Fax: (819) 326-8558