SEIDOKWAN ACADEMY OF JUDO INC.
SEIDOKWAN takes its name from the Japanese Kanji characters meaning “SEI” (sincerity), “DO” (the way), and “KWAN” (academy).
The first SEIDOKWAN was located on Rachel St. (1952), in a Centre de Loisirs run by the local Catholic parish. Subsequent locations during the period 1953-1966 were: a building at the corner of Drolet and Duluth, a Catholic community center at 175 Sherbrooke St. East, and 34 Notre-Dame St. East.
For many years, from 1966 to 1983, the club was located at 305 Décarie North (close to the Decarie/Metropolitan Blvd. intersection), and between 1983-1989 was located at Victoria and Jean Talon and at the CEGEP du Vieux Montréal. SEIDOKWAN moved to Sunnybrooke Community Center from 1989 to 1997, and currently at 10417A Gouin Blvd. in Roxboro.
SEIDOKWAN was founded in 1952 by a group of issei and nissei Japanese Canadians who wanted to form a Judo school in Montreal. Many had practiced Judo in British Columbia before the relocation of all Japanese Canadians during World War II and they wanted to have their children receive the discipline and physical training that Judo provides.
0417A Boul. Gouin